Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies



HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! 

I have to admit, I hate Halloween. It's my least favorite holiday, the only redeeming quality about this day is all the candy I have an excuse to eat. Seeing people in ridiculous costumes is entertaining too I guess. But ever since I was a little kid, I've never liked it. HOWEVER. This doesn't mean I didn't take this opportunity to bake some pumpkin treats for work tomorrow.



I searched all over for the best looking pumpkin cookie recipe and this one from Joy the Baker seemed to be the best bet. I tweaked it a bit, because I wanted the pumpkin spice taste to be stronger, I added some ground ginger and nutmeg. Whenever I try out new recipes, I like to follow the directions step by step, because I'm so afraid of messing up. But for this one, I kind of just added whatever I wanted. These cookies are very cakelike and pillowy soft, especially right out of the oven. I wish the pumpkin taste was stronger, but I think you can just add more pumpkin puree. Next time! Because I will definitely be using this recipe again!


Recipe makes approximately 24 cookies

Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour

2 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp of baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp nutmeg

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup canola oil

1 cup canned pumpkin puree (I used Trader Joe's)

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can add any kind you want to this recipe)

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or foil, which is what I had at home.

Stir all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt).

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until the consistency is smooth and a light yellow color. Use those arm muscles! Or you can use a handmixer too I guess. Mix in oil, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract until well blended.

Add pumpkin mixture to your dry ingredients. Mix in chocolate chips.

Scoop dough onto baking sheet set about 2 inches apart. These cookies will spread. Bake the cookies for 16 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool them on the baking rack and use a wide spatula to transfer the cookies.

Store the cookies in a tightly covered container after they're cool. They should last for a few days, but why wait that long when you can eat them right away?

Check out Joy the Baker's blog! I love her recipes and her posts are so personal, like you're in the kitchen with her.

I hope you guys try out this recipe and tell me how it goes! Have a safe Halloween! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment