Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pandan Mochi Cake

Decided to bake something for Mother's Day, and since I had all the ingredients, I made some yummy, chewy mochi cake. This recipe has been adapted by me, since I ran out of vanilla extract, I had to improvise. Pandan flavoring can be found in most Asian supermarkets and is widely used in desserts. It has a strong coconut flavor, so a little goes a long way. The original recipe using vanilla extract is just as good, and I actually prefer using vanilla. I also use less sugar, since the flavoring is already sweet.


here are all the ingredients all laid out


this is what it should look like after you mix everything together


my cake grew a brain in the oven ( I think this happens because there are too many bubbles in the mixture. I'm still trying to figure this part out.)


all done! now your house will smell deliciously of coconut milk! mmmm


the edge pieces are the best! looks kind of green, but it makes these interesting!


Ingredients

Makes one 9x13 pan

2 cans of coconut milk
5 large eggs
1/2  stick of butter (melted and cooled)
1 teaspoon of pandan flavoring (or vanilla extract)
2 cups of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder (personally I think this is too much, next time I'm going to just use 1 tsp)
1 lb box of mochiko flour or 3 cups ( tapioca flour is the same thing) 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking pan.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.

In separate bowl, beat eggs, then add coconut milk, melted butter and pandan extract.

Pour wet ingredients over dry mixture. Whisk until mixture is smooth. There will be quite a few lumps, just be patient and they will dissolve.

Pour batter into greased pan.

Bake for 90 minutes,, until top is golden brown and cake starts to pull away from the sides.

Take it out of the oven and let it cool for at least 30 min.

Cut into pieces and enjoy! :)

This can be stored for at least 3 days. I like microwaving it the next day, so it's warm and chewy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment